B18.2.2 is a specific ASME standard that covers the dimensional and mechanical requirements for various types of hexagon nuts, including finished hex nuts, heavy hex nuts, and hex jam nuts. This standard specifies the thread pitch, thread length, width across flats, and thickness of these nuts, as well as the mechanical properties, such as proof load and hardness. B18.2.2 also provides guidance on the marking and identification of these nuts.
Uses of ASME B18.2.2
Hexagon nuts specified by the ASME standard B18.2.2 are commonly used in a wide range of applications, including:
- General construction: They are used in general construction applications, such as in building and bridge construction, to fasten bolts and other structural components.
- Automotive industry: These nuts are used in the automotive industry to fasten bolts and other components, such as in engine assembly and suspension systems.
- Machinery and equipment: They are used in the manufacturing of heavy-duty machinery and equipment, where they serve as fasteners for bolts and other components.
- Electrical industry: These nuts are used in the electrical industry to fasten bolts and other components in various applications, such as in transformers and power transmission equipment.
In summary, hexagon nuts specified by the ASME standard B18.2.2 are used in various industries and applications, including construction, automotive, machinery and equipment, and electrical industries. These nuts provide reliable fastening and are designed to meet specific dimensional and mechanical requirements, as specified in the standard.
Materials for ASME B18.2.2
ASME B18.2.2 specifies the dimensional and mechanical requirements for various types of hexagon nuts made from different materials. The following are the ANSI, ASME, ASTM, and DIN standard materials that can be used to make these nuts, categorized by material type and specific grades:
- Steel materials:
- ANSI/ASME B18.2.2: Grades 2, 5, and 8
- ASTM A194: Grades 2H, 4, 7, 7M, and 8
- DIN EN ISO 898-2: Property class 5, 6, 8, and 10
- Stainless steel materials:
- ANSI/ASME B18.2.2: Grades 304 and 316
- ASTM F594: Grades A, B, and C
- DIN EN ISO 3506-2: A2-70 and A4-70
- Nonferrous materials:
- ASTM B633: Electrodeposited coatings of zinc on iron and steel
- ASTM B695: Coatings of zinc mechanically deposited on iron and steel
- ASTM F468: Nonferrous bolts, hex cap screws, and studs for general use
- DIN 934: Nuts made of copper, copper alloys, aluminum, aluminum alloys, or titanium
It is important to select the appropriate material and grade based on the specific application requirements. By adhering to the necessary standards and specifications, manufacturers can ensure that their hexagon nuts are manufactured to the necessary quality and safety standards.
Found what you are looking for?
Our team will be happy to help. Get in touch with us.
Interested in this product? Download relevant documentation here.Download free documentation